- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 ripe mango, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, chopped (1½ cups)
- ½ small red onion, diced (1/3 cup)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ chopped fresh herbs (mint, basil, and/or cilantro)
- ½ cup uncooked orzo
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 packed cup arugula
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry or white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the red pepper, mango, cucumber, red onion, garlic, chickpeas, herbs, salt, and several grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions or until al dente. Drain, gently rinse, toss with a little olive oil oil and set aside to cool to room temp before adding to the salad.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, stir together the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, cumin, sweet paprika, salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of water until it’s a drizzle-able consistency.
- Add the orzo, dressing, and arugula to the salad and toss to coat. Season to taste
NOTE: Make one day in advance to let the flavors marinate together.