Picture this: You hitting your step or exercise goals DAILY on your FitBit, Apple Watch or whatever else you wear. Even while having a job that requires you to sit ALL day.
How the heck do you do this?
Easy. Get CREATIVE!
With our sedentary lives these days, it’s super hard to get movement or exercise in each day. Here are some creative ways and tips to do this in your busy life.
1. Park further away at work, at the grocery store, at the mall, or wherever you are. I see you all, circling the parking lots, spending more time looking for the closest space than actually parking. Look up and out, the furthest spots have a ton of open space and you’ll get some extra steps in….win win!
2. Take the stairs. This is a great way to get in extra steps and a. nice booty burn without having to get on the stair climber at the gym. Unless you’re carrying a huge bag or pushing something, try and opt for the stairs over the elevator. Think about how many extra steps you’ll get in each time you go up and down throughout the day.
3. Use your desk. If you’re able to get it, I highly recommend a sit to stand desk. Standing is so much better for our postures, our backs, our body overall. Plus it keeps you awake throughout the day! Stand whenever possible. Also, try out some desk and chair exercises to move throughout the day. Leg lifts, arm circles, squats, wall sits, tricep dips. There are so many options!
4. Set a timer. Set a timer to get up and walk around for at least 10 minutes every hour. Maybe you make it your water or bathroom break. Take the longer path to these end points. Have a head set or hands free device? Take your conference call on the go. Stand instead of sit for these meetings. Just getting your body moving throughout the day can have a big impact on your health. It can also help with the afternoon slump post lunch instead of grabbing that soda or coffee!
5. Work out before work. I know, we’re all not morning people, but you have deemed yourself as “not a morning person.” YOU can change that. Studies show if you workout before work, before your day gets the best of you, you are more likely to stick with it. You have more energy throughout the day, your mind and body feel better, you’ll be burning more calories throughout the day, and you have no excuse that a meeting got in the way or you’re too tired after work. Try a few days this week and see what happens.
6. Have your exercise clothes with you so you are always prepared. I tell all of my clients this, keep your workout clothes in your car, at your office, wherever you need to so you are always prepared when you have some free time that pops up for a workout. Maybe you sneak in a lunch workout or right when work is done before you get home and all cozy. Again, planning and being prepared takes more excuses off the table. Set yourself up for success and you will have an easier time including this into your daily life.
Try some of these this week. Plan it out. Block your calendar. Start small, 2-3 days, 15 mins, whatever gets you to start moving is better than not moving. Got it?
Let’s Do This!